EC Life programme integrated project “Implementation of River Basin Management Plans of Latvia towards good surface water status” has been launched
European Commission Life programme integrated project “Implementation of River Basin Management Plans of Latvia towards good surface water status” LIFE GOODWATER IP (LIFE18 IPE/LV/000014) has been officially launched on 1st January, 2020. In the project Institute of Food Safety, Animal Health and Environment “BIOR” is one of 18 project partners and Project Coordinator is Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Center.
The enhanced delivery of all four River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs) in Latvia is necessary to achieve the EU environmental objectives of the Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC), which requires achievement of good ecological and chemical status or good ecological potential of all surface waters, and achievement of good quantitative and chemical status of groundwater. The European Commission has thrice evaluated Latvian RBMPs: in 2012, 2015 and 2018. A comparison of these assessments leads to the conclusion that Latvian river basin management efforts could be improved, and that more precise or detailed assessments and evaluations could better implement the measures laid down therein.
The overall aim of LIFE GoodWater IP is to improve the status of water bodies at risk in Latvia by means of the full implementation of the measures laid down in the Daugava, Gauja, Lielupe and Venta River Basin Management Plans (RBMPs).
The specific objectives of LIFE Goodwater IP are to:
- reduce the pollution of water bodies at risk caused by urban wastewater and to diminish the loads of nutrients brought in by wastewater discharges and accumulated in water bodies at risk;
- reduce the runoff of nutrients and other pollutants from agricultural and forestry lands, especially in the winter period, in order to reduce eutrophication and diffuse pollution of water bodies at risk, with a special focus on reduction of phosphorus inputs;
- reduce or mitigate the effects of hydrological and morphological alterations of water bodies at risk, including those caused by renovation and reconstruction of land drainage systems;
- improve river basin management planning and its implementation mechanisms by strategically planned capacity building actions, and addressing the gaps in monitoring system of water bodies at risk to ensure a more efficient implementation of RBMPs in further planning cycles;
- increase the awareness of various stakeholders and to promote their involvement in the implementation of the RBMPs;
- provide support to respective authorities for improvements of respective legislative and regulatory documents and policies.
Expected results: LIFE GoodWater IP will address 164 water bodies at risk in Latvia (89 rivers and 75 lakes). The project expects to achieve good status for 9 of the surface water bodies currently at risk. In the long term, up to 50 water bodies affected by similar pressures and other common characteristics are expected to reach good status as an indirect result of the project.
- Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
- Latvian State Forest Research Institute “Silava”
- University of Latvia
- Engure County Council
- Limited Liability Company “Jelgavas novada KU”
- Latvia water and waste water works association
- NGO Farmer’s Parliament
- World Wide Fund Latvia
- Latvian Fund for Nature
- Association “Baltic Coasts”
- Baltic Environment Forum
- Latvian Rural Advisory and Training Center
- “Center of Processes’ Analysis and Research, Ltd.”
- JSC “Latvia’s State Forests”
- The Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development of the Republic of Latvia
- The Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Latvia
- State Limited Liability Company “Real Estates of Ministry of Agriculture”
Project duration: 8 years (01.01.2020.-31.12.2027).
Institute “BIOR” total funding is EUR 1 005 408 of which European Commision funding is EUR 603 245, state funding EUR 301 622 and BIOR cofunding EUR 100 541.
The integrated project “Implementation of River Basin Management Plans of Latvia towards good surface water status” (LIFE GOODWATER IP, LIFE18 IPE/LV/000014) has received funding from the LIFE Programme of the European Union and the Administration of Latvian Environmental Protection Fund. www.goodwater.lv
The information reflects only the LIFE GOODWATER IP project beneficiaries’ view and the European Commission’s Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.